June 14, 2013

New in my own country

As I promised: an update about my Dutch life…

It was weird… That’s the only right word. At London Heathrow I lost some people and I was so tired, so I just sat down, and waited three hours for my flight. The flight was only 45 mins, so that was good. In Amsterdam it took ages to get through passport check and to get my luggage. It was probably pretty fast, but I didn’t have any patience… Luckily my suitcases were the first ones from the plane! So I could go to my family quickly. Everybody knows those doors at Schiphol…

There it was, that magical moment. My parents, grandparents, grandma, sister and her boyfriend were there! <3 They had signs: “Welcome Home” and roses and a balloon. Wooow, it was emotional, in a good way. Crying. DSC_3850DSC_3851DSC_3854DSC_3859DSC_3858

I was confused and so tired, so it was really hard to speak Dutch… It was embarrassing… I really couldn’t think of the Dutch words and wished I could speak English, just because it was easier. After something to eat, hema hotdog, we went home. I was so pumped out, full of energy because of the excitement :) When we got home there were more surprises: decorations through the house. Balloons everywhere, even outside. Everyone did a great job to make it a special day!

DSC_3861DSC_3875

The family stayed for a while, it felt really special and I didn’t feel tired at all, but that night I was exhausted. We had some dutch snacks and food! Yummo. I went to bed around 9pm, after I’d been awake for more than 36 hours…

Tuesday I slept in till 11.30. Wooow I CAN sleep in, that’s something new. I enjoyed the first day home and my parents and I started changing my rooms. And unpacking, that was mission. It took me couple of days! Wednesday I went to Surhuisterveen, the village 3 km away, on my bike! I went to some shops, looking for jobs. I ended up at Karwei, where I worked before I left to Australia.

And Thursday: The Hague! (Den- Haag) with my parents. My dad had to go to a meeting, so I went into the city with my mum. We did some shopping and it was just really nice to walk through a Dutch city again. So different than the shopping malls in Australia. I reckon the Dutch shopping street are heaps better. We had dinner in a Thai restaurant and went back home.

Friday was busy with stuff, can’t remember what. And that night I had a job interview. I got the job til the end of August now. Pretty good, if you know that the financial crisis is really bad in the Netherlands. Saturday I got a new phone: Samsung Galaxy S4, so ask me on mail or facebook for my number if you need it. My mum and I made cakes for Sunday and I made:…… Lamingtons!

food choc

Sunday was a special day as well: the whole family came over! All my aunties, uncles and cousins. It was amazing to see all the kids again. All I can say; Kids grow way too fast!
My oldest cousin, Vera, is as tall as me now. The others have grown up so quickly. It’s weird. It was a nice day and it felt good to be in the Netherlands. Even though I didn’t feel that at all times that week. Because I was a bit home sick to Australia as well. (and Dutch was hard…)

We dropped my sister home that night and I went straight to bed, because monday: School!
My first day back at school in the Netherlands, with all new people… I didn’t know anyone. After an hour talk and organising stuff with the year coordinator, I had to go to class. Weird, but good to be back. Good to catch up with some stuff, even though I’ve passed that year (year 11) already.

brian and linfamily

Tuesday was my first real bike ride to school again. 13km in the morning, 13 km in the arvo… because we don’t have school buses here… I had to babysit the neighbours kids that afternoon.

School was normal, but weird. I made some new friends, luckily and I remember some stuff. I’ll still have to study a bit to remember everything, but I should be fine. But I felt a stranger in my old school. It was good to see some teachers again, and I’ve told my Aussie story ten thousand times now. I made some tests, and I would have passed them if they counted. That’s a good feeling, that I can still do high school here.

And today all my old class mates heard if they passed their finals. Congratulations to all the graduated! Good luck to those who have to some exams again!

But after 1,5 week back in the Netherlands, I can say I have change, I’ve become more confident and I love love love both families, my Dutch and Australian family. I’m happy to be back here, but I miss Australia and I think of Australia so many times a day. Luckily we have internet and Krista has whatsapp <3

This is the end of my adventure, but I might keep blogging!

xxxxxx lots of love!

P1080221

No comments:

Post a Comment