June 7, 2013

Look back

A look back at my exchange year, because I’ve had a great year, with many ups, but also some downs.

I can remember the day I had to leave, we had some trouble in the family the day before, but I was so excited. I couldn’t believe that it was actually happening. I couldn’t believe that I was gonna make my dream come true. And now, 11 months later, do I have unbelief again. i can’t believe that this is it. It’s over. It’s done. i’m not an exchange student anymore. I don’t live in my dream country anymore. I’m back in the Netherlands and I’ll have to face reality again…

But the last 11 months have been so amazing, that I have to write a look back. Not about the things I’ve done and the places I’ve seen, but the feelings I had, the people I’ve met and more.

First: FRIENDS! I came to Australia, leaving my friends in the Netherlands behind, and starting from the bottom. No friends, no one I knew, nothing. Now I have so many friends, from all over the world and friends for a life time! Without my friends I would have been sad, depressed and boring. I thought it would be hard to make new friends, but I found it quite easy. There are so many beautiful people on this world <3 My friends showed me around, took me to nice places, good parties and I knew they’d be there if I needed a talk. And I know that they’ll still be there for me, and I will be there for them!

382164_397352303675547_804709585_nMocktail2013-0142

Thanks so much: Maddi Borg, Emily, Nicky, Steph, Dakota, Angela, Maddi Bryant, Lauren, Shannon, Niome and all the other lovely people! I miss you already.

All those people made school a pleasure, I really enjoyed going to Mirani High, also because of the teachers. The teachers were all very nice, probably because I am (well… was…) an exchange students. Oh, they gotta love the Dutch! I’ll go back to school in the Netherlands, Drachtster Lyceum, on Monday, and that will be a shock. So much busier, harder and stricter!

P1050043Even though my friends made a huge and important part of my exchange, John and Krista need a special attention. It’s lovely to see that two normal people, with two little kids, in a quite normal/small house, want to open their house for an exchange student for 11 months. It’s  a long time. Opening your doors for someone you have never met, is a big step, but a great way to exchange cultures. I’ve become a real part of the Latham- family and the Lathams gave me another home. And I have two pairs of parents now: The biological oldies and the relaxed youngs! Mum and Dad, don’t worry, I still love you <3 And John and Krista: I’ll be back, because I  miss you like… like… like what?! Like something really bad… And even though Cohen and Mackensie can be… busy… loud… annoying… I still love them! They can be cute, and I already look forward to see them again.

P1050081

Sorry Aussies, but the most important people in my life, are still my mum and dad. They made this year possible and I fotos afscheid Paulien_007don’t know how to thank them. This year has changed me, in a positive way. I’m more open, spontaneous and I’m so unbelievably happy and relaxed! Australia was awesome and I love the country and its people, but I’m glad that I’m back home, with mum and dad <3 I know that your two daughters aren’t always the best, but I try hard. And no matter what happens, we’ll get through and we know that! I love you!

Now about my last time in Oz. I already told about the Guy Sebastian concert. I will miss Krista and her spontaneous ideas. But Sunday morning, 2nd of June 2013, 5.00 am, was the moment we had to leave. I still can’t believe I won’t come home for maybe years… In the car I still couldn’t realise it was the end. I miss the singing in the car, the music (even the country music!) and our same kind of humour. Oh gosh, why do we always think the same thing at the same time?!?!?! What am I gonna do now?! And John, I even miss your loud voice and your jokes… Also the jokes from the last two weeks hahahaha. D…..

At the airport we checked in, also the extra bags, and waited and talked with friends and everyone. It was busy, because Sarah and Thea left at the same time. Maddi Bryant got me a beautiful book with sweet messages and so many pictures. Around 6.10 am we really had to say goodbye. Wowwww, crying! Looking at Krista and thinking: Sht…. You’re so important to me. Looking at John and thinking: His jokes are mean, but good. And then, the kids: Little cheeky kids, but cuties. And my friends: It’s gonna be so boring without them… Who am I gonna talk to?!?!

So I cried, but we had to hurry up, because we were the last ones… Off to Brisbane, then to Sydney, Singapore and London. From Sydney to London I was sitting with Sarah and we had one spare seat. Handy! The flights were long, 1”15’, 1”15’, 8”, 13” and 1”.. Woow. But it was okay.. Many people in Sydney didn’t realise it was the end. I realised it a bit more, because I’d already had two flights…

I’ve been in the Netherlands for a couple of days now, and I’ll update very soon about my first week here!
Miss you Aussies! <3

life-quotes-on-perfect-life

No comments:

Post a Comment